Comfrey root, obtained from the perennial herb native to Europe and temperate areas of Asia, is one of the most widely used natural remedies for scars, blisters, abrasions and other minor skin ailments. Most importantly, however, the herb prevents and treats scar tissue, and promotes rapid healing, making it the most effective natural acne scar treatment available.
The herb is easy to grow in your home garden, but you can also order the dried root from reputable retailers to use in your natural cosmetics. See my Purchasing Herbs and Supplies page for more information on where to find comfrey root at the best price.
How Comfrey Prevents and Removes Acne Scars
Comfrey root prevents scarring by its cell proliferation properties. It contains allantoin, a compound found in the urine of pregnant women and infants. The presence of this compound indicates that the cells are dividing and reproducing in the body quickly and normally. The reason the substance appears in the urine of expecting mothers and babies is because they are experiencing extraordinary cell growth during this time. Allantoin produces normal, healthy cells at about three times the normal rate, and replaces dead cells just as quickly.
Comfrey root also contains vitamin B12, which controls the speed of cell replacement and ensures that only normal, healthy cells are being produced. For this reason, comfrey is a cell normalizer as well as a proliferant, which makes it one of the best natural acne scar treatments in existence. It destroys the dead cells (the ones that cause scars), and replaces them with normal cells at an extremely fast rate. This action prevents scar tissue from occurring in the first place if you apply the herb quickly enough. In fact, any blemish or wound that you think might leave a scar will not do so if you dress it with comfrey until it’s completely healed.
Old scars also respond to comfrey root, although they may take a bit longer to disappear completely. Depending on the severity of the scar, it can take several weeks of daily treatment, but the scar will eventually disappear completely. If you want to be sure you have the best acne home scar treatment, follow the recipe below.
Homemade Acne Scar Treatment Recipe
- Handful of fresh comfrey root
- Water to cover
- Place the comfrey root in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer. A cream will slowly begin to form.
- Mash the root with a potato masher after it’s cooked for about 30 minutes to extract as much of the “goo” as possible.
- Once the goo has formed, strain out the root. Use the goo as an overnight mask and wash off in the morning. Repeat daily until your acne scars are gone.
If you don’t have access to fresh comfrey root, you can purchase a commercially prepared comfrey ointment and apply to your scars once daily, or make your own ointment at home with comfrey extract using the following recipe:
Comfrey Ointment for Acne Scars
- 2 tsp. comfrey extract
- 2 ½ tbsp. petroleum jelly, lanolin or vitamin E face cream
- 1 tsp. vegetable glycerin or vitamin E oil
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process on medium speed until smooth. You can mix by hand if using the lanolin or cream, but you’ll need the strength of a blender to mix the extract into the petroleum jelly.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place when not in use.
- To use, spread the mixture on your face, concentrating on the areas affected by acne scars, and leave on for at least an hour once or twice daily. The longer you can leave the mixture on, the faster your scars will disappear. Repeat as necessary.
Note: if using the vitamin E face cream to make your ointment, make sure it is plain and unscented, and omit the vegetable glycerin or vitamin E oil since it is already present in the cream.
Tips for Natural Acne Scar Removal
- Make sure to dress your scars with comfrey at least once a day, every day. If you skip a day, it won’t reverse what the comfrey has already accomplished, but it will delay the time it takes until you’re scar-free.
- If you still have blemishes, you can also dress them with comfrey to prevent them from scarring. Also, practice home acne remedies to prevent pimples from occurring in the first place.
- Most importantly, remember that severe scars will not disappear overnight. It may take a while – weeks or even months – but you should still see noticeable results after the very first treatment if you’ve followed the instructions above.